Thursday, November 15, 2007

The GTI: Jackon, Mississippi



I was on my way to Camp Shelby
near Hattiesburg, MS to see where my Uncle Tsuk trained to go overseas with the 442nd RCT.

Stopped in Jackson for a bathroom break and headed out to Hattiesburg.

The South is an interesting place. My visit to Camp Shelby was enlightening. In it's years of disrepair after the War, many of the war-time buildings were sold or destroyed. Some of those buildings were where many soldiers were barracked including the 442nd Regimental Combat Team and 100th Infantry Battalion. All that remained were some over-grown dirt roads and concrete pilings similar to the ones I'd find at Amache, Colorado.

But what's more interesting was where the barracks were. Japanese soldiers who were released from segregated captivity were housed with white soldiers, not black soldiers. Ain't that a kick in the head?

No comments: